|Alternative variable of contact
- Stand in front and slightly to the side of the extremity being tested.
- With the patient seated or standing, support the arm by placing fingers 4-5 under the proximal arm while allowing his or her forearm to rest across your forearm.
- Localize the triceps tendon.
- Strike the dorsal side of the distal arm about 2 cm above the olecranon process with the base of the reflex hammer positioned perpendicular to the tendon.
Alternative patient position
- The triceps reflex can be tested with the patient positioned in supine.
Special instructions and comments
- The triceps can be palpated and the force delivered through the index or middle finger if desired.
- You should be able to palpate a response even if you cannot see it.