|Clinical notes and interpretation
- Astereognosis describes the absence of this ability.
- Stereognosis supports occupational functioning.
- Health care practitioners should take care not to provide any additional touching/sensory input to the patient’s hand throughout the testing.
- Stereognosis integrates touch, pressure, joint position sense, and temperature in order to identify an object.
- Intact cognitive processes are required to interpret the multiple sensory inputs from the object.
- If language is an issue while testing stereognosis, the patient can draw or point to a picture of the object.