|Test to be performed - Touch awareness (monofilament set)
Touch awareness tests the individual’s ability to perceive a light touch and is classified as exteroception.
Expected findings - The individual will be able to indicate, without hesitation, when the stimulus is presented.
Testing procedure - method two
- Explain and demonstrate the procedure with the patient’s eyes open.
- The patient closes his/her eyes, or vision is otherwise occluded.
- Start with a monofilament that the patient is able to feel.
- Continue to decrease the size until the patient can no longer feel the stimulus.
- Increase the size of the monofilament one size to ensure the accuracy of your measurement, and then decrease the size of the monofilament until the patient can no longer feel the stimulus.
- Record the smallest size filament that the individual is able to feel in each body area.
- Vary the time between stimuli to avoid developing a rhythmic pattern.
- Repeat throughout suspected areas.
- Document findings.